Finished my first half marathon of 2016! It was the longest distance I have ran since the Boston Marathon in April of 2015. Overall, it was a perfect day for running. High 30’s with no wind! Can’t really ask for a better day at the end of January. The course was pretty hilly, but not too terrible until the last hill heading up to the finish. My GOD, I thought I was going to die at that point!!
For time, I almost hit my PR, but didn’t quite get there. I am totally okay with that considering I am still nursing and do not really have all of my energy stores for races! The funny part is Luke picked me up on the way home. Mason was thirsty and all we had in the car was Powerade. He took one sip and said, “Oh mom, this tastes awful!” Um yah, buddy I hear ya! Sports drinks are gross in my opinion. Never liked them, ever! We are getting into the parenting stage where Mason says really funny shit.
For a pre-race snack, I have been experimenting with new protein energy bites. My protein powder of choice for making energy bites is Shakeology. I have been drinking Shakeology and making energy bites for almost two months now and have noticed considerable differences in my overall health. My nails are stronger, my hair is fuller, my energy levels are through the roof and my sweet tooth cravings are virtually gone (which is amazing because I am total cookie/dessert lover). The reason why I love Shakeology is because it is packed with over 70 superfoods ingredients(e.g. chia, flax, blueberries, kale, spinach, spiralina, etc.):
• Proteins and fiber – to help reduce hunger and food cravings
• Antioxidants, Phytonutrients, Vitamins, and Minerals – to help fight free radical damage and help support a healthy immune system*
• Adaptogen Herbs – traditionally used to help the body adapt and respond to the effects of stress
• Prebiotics, Probiotics, and Digestive Enzymes – to help nutrient absorption and support regularity and healthy digestion
What better way to fuel up for a run than with some charged superfood bites! I had three of these before my race and they stayed with me until the finish. Plus, they taste AMAZING! I seriously have to limit myself to how many of these bad BOYS I can have a day.
- 1 C Peanut Butter
- 1/2 C Peanut Butter Powder
- 1/2 C Oats
- 1/3 C Maple Syrup
- 1/4 C Carob Chips
- 1/2 C Café Latte Shakeology
- Add everything to a medium bowl and mix together with a hand mixer.
- Roll into walnut sized balls.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 3 weeks or in freezer for up to 3 months (if they last that long!).