We just spent five wonderful days at our cabin. The best part about the cabin is it is in the middle of nowhere and nowhere means no cell phone coverage, running water (bath in the lake) or electricity. We even have a two-seater outhouse, so if anyone is feeling really brave they could play cards with someone else while going about there business. I am proud to say I never have and never well try that, but just throwing it out there as an option that my husband and his friends certainly joke about.
I am grateful I was about to forget about work for a couple days and just focus 100% on family and relaxation! Also, Mason was also in heaven playing with rocks, dirt and water. Nothing is better than a toddler getting dirty, right?
While there, my sister-in-law made several salads. One of which inspired me to make this southwestern chicken. This salad is not autoimmune or Paleo friendly unless you remove the corn and feta cheese, but my husband has decided to eliminate foods one at a time to see what triggers more joint pain anyway. So far we are thinking the culprit is nuts (that rat bastard…quoting my very funny cousin, Josh). Hopefully that is it!
- 3 C Mixed Salad Greens
- 2 Cobs of Corn, husked
- 1 Avocado, chopped
- 1/4 C Feta Cheese
- 1/4 C Red Pepper, chopped
- 1/4 C Green Pepper, chopped
- 1/4 C Red Onion, chopped
- 1 C Chicken, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 Lemon, juice
- 1/4 C Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 C Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Agave Nectar
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add corn and boil for approximately 6 to 8 minutes.
- While the corn is cooking, add the mixed greens to a large bowl. Top with feta cheese, vegetables and chicken.
- Once corn is done, cut off the kernels with a knife. This is done by standing the corn upright and running the knife down the side of the cob.
- After the corn has cooled to room temperature, add it to the top of the salad.
- Add vinaigrette ingredients to a small bowl and mix together until combined. Toss this into the salad when ready to serve.