The weather in Minnesota has been miserable the last three weeks, but we are finally getting a breather from below zero temperatures this weekend! This is fantastic because I have a 10 mile run on Sunday that I was not looking forward to at all. Okay boring, why am I talking about the weather? Well probably because I can’t think of anything else to ramble on about at the moment.
I mean really, the other boring thing I could talk about is the manuscript I am writing for the 2015 Global SAS Forum. Last fall I submitted some research on the association between healthcare costs and participation in Fitness Reimbursement programs for a podium presentation at the conference. It was accepted, COOL. So now, I am writing the paper and making sure I sound like I know what I am talking about it HAHA. No really, I do know what I am talking about (MOST DAYS).
Here is my total bone head move and shows you how your brain goes with kids. I was getting ready for my run last weekend and was wrestling with getting my headphones to work with Pandora on it. I kept trying different buttons to get the sound to work and using some choice words of “Oh to HELL, why is this not working.” When all of a sudden I noticed I didn’t even have the headphones in my ears. DUH! So, there you have it. I can get accepted for some advanced research conference (feel a little SMART) and then do something that makes me feel like an IDIOT all in one swoop. Oh good times!
Allright, so now on to the pistachio bites. I made these delicious and I mean delicious treats for my husband. He needs to eat protein with fruits and was sucking down beef jerky, sausage and meats like mad. I worry a bit about the sodium content of packaged meats, so finally I thought, “Aha, I can make him some protein bites!” I made these little nuggets and he loved them. He also took them to the Packers playoff game last weekend to share with some of our friends. They also loved them I actually promised I would get this recipe posted for our dear friend, Kelly! So, I want to give a little shout out to her because she is an amazing mom, business owner and just a hoot to be around. Hope these turn out for you when you try them at home lady!
- 1 C Pistachios
- 1 1/2 C Banana Chips
- 6-8 Medjool Dates, pits removed & chopped
- 3-4 tbsp Agave Nectar
- 1/2 C Almond Butter
- 1/2 C Almond Flour
- 1/2 tsp Maple Extract
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- Add medjool dates, banana chips, pistachios and agave nectar to a food processor. Chop in the food processor until the dried fruit and nuts have broken down into very small pieces.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and pulse together until a smooth dough forms (you will still have finely chopped pieces of pistachio).
- Roll together into walnut sized balls. Refrigerate for up to 2 to 3 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months (if they last that long).
- Make sure you buy pistachios out of the shell or you will be shelling pistachios for a good 20 minutes before making this recipe.