Growing up, I loved to be in the kitchen with my mom. The first dessert I made (besides our annual Christmas baking where my mom did 90% of the work & I just made a mess) was rice crispy peanut butter bars. This recipe became a staple that I made ALL OF THE TIME. Now that I am older and “wiser” (debatable on the wiser part), I realized how much sugar was in those babies & am thoroughly surprised I am not diabetic!
To combat the sugar filled original, I converted my childhood favorite into an allergy friendly/gluten free version that is easier on the hips & blood sugar levels!
- 1/2 C Sunbutter (or other nut butter)
- 1/2 C Agave Nectar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 C Carob Chips
- 1 tbsp Sunbutter (or other nut butter)
- 3 C Gluten Free Rice Crispies
- Cook sunbutter, agave nectar, vanilla and salt in a saucepan over medium heat until all of the ingredients are melted & completely combined.
- After mixture is cooked, stir in cereal.
- Press down cereal treat mixture into an 8x8 pan with wax paper.
- Put in carob chips and tablespoon of sunbutter in microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 second increments until melted, mixing after each 30 seconds. May sound tedious but if you over tender chocolate you will have a chunky mess.
- Pour melted chocolate over the cereal treat layer. Spread out evenly with a spatula.
- Chill in the refrigerator for a 1/2 hour.