After working 70 hours last week, my boss gave me 3 comp days! So, I decided to use one to recover via a mommy day. Shipped my little man off to daycare, got my haircut, took my road bike in for a tune up (no more flat tires on rides), ran 9 miles, watched a romantic comedy, formatted photos on here and made these yummy breakfast snack bars!
WHOOP, WHOOP….I feel recharged!
The funny part about making these bars is somehow I managed to get honey all over my shirt. Since my hair is long, my hair got stuck in it too! Yah, so midway through the process I was washing honey out of my hair & changing shirts. Since I had a conditioning treatment done to my hair I am going to be stuck with honey hair for at least 48 hours. Good times!
Back to the bars, these are really good. In fact, I left a container of them out for my husband’s “Breaking Bad” date night and only two were left this morning! A dude’s approval is always a good sign, right?
- 4 C Brown Rice Crispies
- 1 C Sunflower Seed Butter
- 1/2 C Honey
- 1/2 tsp Almond Extract
- 1/2 C Dried Cherries, chopped
- 1/2 C Sunflower Seeds
- 1/2 C Chocolate Chips (Enjoy Life)
- 1/2 C Sesame Seeds
- Add sunflower seed butter (or another nut butter) & honey to medium saucepan. Cook over medium/high heat until ingredients are slightly boiling, stirring occasionally. Will take about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat & stir in the almond extract.
- Add rice crispies, cherries, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and chocolate chips to large bowl.
- Pour sunflower seed mixture into the bowl & stir until everything is combined.
- Transfer mixture to a 9X9 cake pan. Press down firmly with parchment paper.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Cut into squares & ENJOY!
- Almond extract has almond oil in it, so if you are allergic to tree nuts substitute this with vanilla.
- If you do not have honey on hand, maple syrup or agave nectar will work.