OMG, I am tired to the MAX. It started out with me getting four hours of sleep two days ago (sick baby). Then I was so restless last night that I only managed to get another five hours. Doesn’t help that the dog wanted to go to the bathroom at 3:15 AM. Normally I am up then, but when you fall asleep three hours later than normal, getting up at 3:15 AM is not ideal at all. Anyway, sleep deprivation is the story of my life and has only become worse lately. The good news is you guys benefit because in order for me to make it through the day I need to power myself up with some good nutrition! This smoothie is one item that falls into the GOOD NUTRITION CAMP! Oh and the lemongrass makes it heavenly! I am nut who loves lemon though, so I totally get that you would pass-a-roo on this smoothie if you are not a lemon lover like me. And for you lemon lovers, pucker up because this smoothie has some LEMONY GOODNESS!
All right, enough of my sleep deprived rambling! In spirit of my other posts, I have drafted up some health benefits of lemon grass and wanted to share it with you all!
For starters, lemongrass is beneficial for many medical condition since it contains anti-septic compounds that work to eliminate harmful micro-organisms, such as bacteria, yeast, fungal and parasites from the digestive tract. For convenience here are some other key health benefits of lemongrass (please refer to this site www.juicingforhealth.com for a more comprehensive list):
1.Anemia: Lemongrass is beneficial for sufferers of iron deficiency due to its high iron content. Iron synthesizes of hemoglobin, which is responsible for carrying oxygen cells throughout the body.
2.Anti-cancer: Lemongrass contains citral, an anti-cancer fighter that helps remove cancer cells, while preserving healthy tissues.
3. Anti-inflammatory, anti-septic and detoxifying: Lemongrass is beneficial for arthritis sufferers due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-septic properties. The anti-septic properties help eliminate unwanted micro-organisms and cleanse/purify the circulatory system & organs (e.g. liver, kidney, bladder, pancreas, etc.), while helping to reduce the incidence of bacterial and fungal infections.
4. Digestive health: Lemongrass regulates intestinal function due to anti-microbial properties removing bad bacteria and parasites, while allowing good bacteria to enter the colon and improve digestive-related conditions (e.g. indigestion, constipation, diarrhea, bloating, etc.).
- 1 C Papaya, frozen
- 1 C Mango, frozen
- 2 C Pineapple, frozen
- 2 Lemons, juice
- 1 C Carrot Juice
- 1 C Pomegranate Juice
- 1 C Water
- 2 C Swiss Chard
- 1/4 C Lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup (optional)
- Add ingredients to blender and mix until smooth.
- If the smoothie is too thick, add an additional tablespoon of water or juice until desired consistency. If too thin, add an additional 1/2 cup of frozen fruit.
- This smoothie was created as a meal replacement (makes 2 - 32 ounce servings). If you are looking for a smaller portion cut the ingredients in half.
- This recipe requires a high-powered blender or it will not completely break down the lemongrass. If you do not have a high-powered blender you can either juice the lemongrass or strain the smoothie through a mesh strainer prior to consuming.