It has been quite a day! Tripped over uneven pavement 5 miles into my long run, skinned up my knees & my phone went dead so I had no way to get home except to hobble/run the five miles back home. And when I say tripped that is an understatement, I actually flew through the air and came crashing hard into the pavement. Some guy picking up a real estate sign stopped and his exact expression was, “Oh man, are you okay?” I got up & kept going, but it was the hardest run yet! To reward myself I indulged in some of these brownies!
So, here you go! Try my rendition of a black bean brownie that is full of protein & tastes great! I topped them with a greek yogurt strawberry cream & some fresh strawberries. They are also great plain. Both my little guy and husband gobbled these up & my husband doesn’t even like chocolate.
Now I am sure some of you are thinking, black beans? Gross? Trust me there are several black bean brownie recipes where they really taste like black beans & are not that great! This one is not the case, trust me! You will not detect the black bean flavor, but will get the full benefit of the protein they provide.
- 1 C Medjool Dates (pits removed)
- 1 can Black Beans (rinsed & drained)
- 1/2 C Almond Butter
- 1/2 C Greek Yogurt (2% or higher)
- 2 tbsp Brown Rice Syrup (or honey)
- 1/8 C Coconut Palm Sugar
- 3/4 C Cacao Powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp Flax Meal
- 6 tbsp Water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add Medjool dates to food processor. Process until chopped. Add remaining ingredients & process until creamy batter forms.
- Pour batter evenly into an a greased 8x8 pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until edges start to pull slightly away from the pan. The bars will have a slightly fudgy center.
- Let cool 30 minutes before eating.
- Store in airtight container or refrigerator.
- If you want to add a topping, an easy mix is crushing a cup of strawberries with a potato masher in a small bowl. Add in a cup of greek yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon of lemon extract and 1 tablespoon of honey. Just mix it together & pour over the brownies. Add some fresh strawberries & you have an amazing layered dessert!