After having a brussel sprout and kale chopped salad in New York, I have been craving this combination a lot! The version I had in NYC had purple potatoes, peas, sunflower seeds, brie cheese, kale, brussel sprouts and arugula. It was incredible, but I pushed aside the purple potatoes and brie cheese because I didn’t like them in the salad.
In a quest to make my own allergy-friendly version, I took out any of the ingredients that were not autoimmune friendly (e.g. peas & sunflower seeds). To add in some flavor, I added bacon, shrimp and chopped avocado.
The outcome was this delicious chop salad with a creamy lemon avocado dressing. On the autoimmune protocol, it is not recommended to use mustard or mustard seed because these are potential gut irritants. In order to garnish the spicy distinct flavor of mustard, I tossed in some mustard greens (they are AIP friendly and for a complete list I highly recommend the book “The Paleo Approach“). I loved this creamy dressing and thought it was the perfect complement to my salad!
- 1/2 lb Nitrate-Free Bacon, chopped
- 2 C Brussel Sprouts, shredded
- 2 C Shrimp, tails removed
- 2 C Kale, chopped & tough stems removed
- 1 Avocado, chopped
- 1 tbsp Garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 Avocados
- 1/4 C Olive Oil
- 1/4 C Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 Limes, juice
- 1 C Mustard Greens
- 1/4 C Water (optional for thinner dressing)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Saute bacon, brussel sprouts and garlic over medium high heat until brussel sprouts are tender and bacon is fully cooked.
- Add in shrimp, onion powder and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until shrimp with bacon & brussel sprouts until they are done (they are fully cooked when the tails curl up into a circle).
- Set aside and allow ingredients to cool to room temperature. Will take between 10-15 minutes.
- Add dressing ingredients (minus the water) into a high-speed blender and combine until creamy.
- Use additional water if you want a runnier consistency.
- Put chopped kale in the bottom of large salad bowl, top with the bacon mixture, chopped avocado and creamy lemon avocado dressing.