Yesterday, Mason and I had a date! I asked him what he wanted to do and his response was to go see the “Horseies.” It was rainy and cold, so we settled on visiting choo choos at the mall. Mason was in heaven because we ended up finding a small toy store with a Melissa and Doug Wooden Railway set up. I also scored by finding a Big Boggle game (Happy Early Birthday to me)! Can’t wait to kick Luke’s butt in a game. Especially since we played Yahtzee last week and he beat me four games in a row. Who can be that lucky rolling dice? He just kept saying, “Oh, it is all skills, baby!”
Other than the toy store, we also found an indoor play area with small slides and cars that you had to pay seventy-five cents to operate. He was having enough fun with them stationary, so I went with it. It was lots of fun and he was a very well behaved little dude!
Before heading off to our date I made this salad for lunch. Amazingly Mason is a BIG salad eater. He especially loves spinach, arugula and kale dipped in ranch dressing. I am not a big fan of ranch, so I made an apple honey mustard vinaigrette. Most the ingredients for the salad came from our CSA.
If you can’t find daicon radishes, you can always use either kohlrabi or white radishes because they are more readily available in most groceries. Same goes for purple carrots, just use orange. If you want to impress people though use purple, because they are gorgeous in a salad with their purple exterior and yellow inside!
- 1 C Chicken, cooked and chopped
- 1 C English Cucumber, chopped
- 1 C Daicon Radish, chopped
- 1/2 C Fennel, chopped
- 1/2 C Pepitas
- 3 C Purple Kale, chopped
- 3 C Arugula
- 1 Lemon
- 1/4 C Honey or Agave Nectar
- 1/2 C Apple Juice
- 1/4 C Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard (omit for AIP diet)
- 2-3 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Mix together kale, arugula, chicken, cucumber, radish, fennel and pepitas into a large serving bowl.
- Add lemon juice, honey, apple juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil and salt into a quart sized mason jar. Put on the lid and shake the jar until all of the ingredients are combined.
- Toss the vinaigrette into the salad and serve.