Did you know that beet greens have a similar flavor to spinach? I did not until recently. So, if you like green smoothies and are looking for a nutritional alternative to spinach or if you do not want to waste anything you receive from a CSA, beet greens are the perfect addition to a smoothie. They are milder in flavor than kale and swiss chard and will take on the flavor of any fruit or juice you pair with them.
Not to mention two cups of beet grains are:
– Low in calories (17 for every two cups)
– Provide 89 milligrams of calcium (9% RDA)
– 160% RDA of vitamin A (as beta-carotene)
– High in the essential amino acid, tryptophan (10% RDA), which regulates mood and sleep cycles in humans
In addition to the beet greens, I have added hemp seeds, which provide a healthy dose of protein, omega fatty acids, fiber, antioxidants and minerals. With all of these added health benefits, give beet greens and hemp seeds a shot in your morning smoothie!
- 2 C Beet Greens, tough stems removed
- 3 C Pineapple/Mango mix, frozen
- 1 Banana
- 2 C Apple Juice
- 4 Medjool Dates, pits removed
- 1/2 C Cashews, raw
- 2 tbsp Hemp Seeds
- 2 C Water
- Soak the hemp seeds, cashews and dates in the apple juice for 10 minutes.
- After ten minutes, add all ingredients to blender and mix until smooth.
- If the smoothie is too thick, add an additional tablespoon of water or juice until desired consistency. If too thin, add an additional 1/2 cup of frozen fruit.
- This smoothie was created as a meal replacement (makes 2 - 32 ounce servings). If you are looking for a smaller portion cut the ingredients in half.